Thursday, April 10, 2008

Carolina in my mind...

When I was a kid, I watched a lot of Carolina basketball. I remember watching giants like Eric Montross, Antawn Jamison, and Vince Carter and being in complete awe. At the time, all I knew about my heroes was that they were tall and that they lived in this magical place called Chapel Hill and I hoped that someday I could visit the land of the giants :)
Fast forward a few years and I'm sitting in my first college class at UNC. I took a moment to breathe in the experience and to stand in complete awe of the opportunity that lay before me. Over the next four years I would find myself pausing often to soak it all up- the electricity that filled the Dean Dome as I chanted "Tar!" and my 15,000 closest friends answered with "Heels!", the incredible peacefulness of an afternoon spent lounging in the quad or playing football in the yard, and the way my eyes filled with tears every time I heard the Clefhanger's rendition of "Carolina in My Mind".
I loved every minute of it.
This afternoon I was walking on campus and the trees were in bloom, the sun was just warm enough, and the sky was this amazing shade of Carolina blue- in short, it was a perfect day. And just as I might have missed the moment, my ipod shuffled to James Taylor- the perfect soundtrack to the perfect day- and I was reminded, once again, how incredibly blessed I am to live in this magical place called Chapel Hill.

No comments: